Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Keep Your Head Above Water and March On

Storm clouds rolling in for rainy season
During rainy season many places flood, which can be a big health issue
The announcer on the radio said that May and June are the rainiest months in Guyana. I haven’t been here for too many months, but long enough to notice the change in weather. Once May hit, there has been rain all during the night and periodically throughout the day. There have even been a few good thundersto
Marching for Midwifery Day- Maternal health is HUGE in Guyana
rms, which always evoke a sense of exhilaration. Guyana, the land of many waters, now has water rising everywhere. You see people out in their tall boots trying to navigate their flooded yards or cars careening through water logged streets. Everyone is just trying to stay dry and above the murky, creature filled waters (see previous posts if you want to know what may be lurking in that water). Meanwhile, I too am trying to keep afloat. I have learned a lot in the past few months; I have been turned upside down, spun around, and some days contemplate if the hypothetical “up” even exists. I ride each wave of ups and downs, preferably swinging in my hammock listening to music. It is funny because each day it is something different. Some days I have no water or current, I find a favorite American food, my co-workers will bring something special for me, or I’ll be told essentially that I look like a hot mess. Others evoke feelings comprised of a deeper substance, I’m really getting to know the other volunteers in my region, I feel I’m not being productive, my co-workers have taken me under their wings and are getting me involved in different events, or that I’m always in the spotlight, constantly gauging my actions and emotions. Nevertheless, the longer I am here the more I am learning. For instance, Americans (and the British, so I’ve been told) can say no in such a nice way it almost sounds like yes. In Guyana, people are much more deliberate and will straight up tell you no (or that you really should brush your hair).


Marching in the rain
I am also learning that I need to change some of my thinking. I don’t know if this is a common occurrence among other volunteers, but I have thought and dreamed of plans and scenarios for where I will be after my service. The main problem is I am trying to fast forward two very important years of my life. Why would anyone want to automatically be two years older and simultaneously deprived of the memory of here and now? Little by little this mode of thinking is changing. I am paying more attention to the plans I have next week instead of next week two years from now. Roots are creeping their way out of my mind and I can feel them yearning for a place to grow. I think I am beginning to find those places. I was fortunate to attend two marches with the School of Nursing. One was at my site for International Midwifery day and the other was for Nurse’s Week up in a place called Skeldon (you can see Suriname across the river from there). Although I am neither a nurse nor midwife, the feeling of solidarity was riveting and I was happy to lend my support to the students, nurses, and midwives of Guyana (we even made it in the local paper! ) Nurses and midwives are very important worldwide and essential to health care (if you haven’t recently you really should thank them for all of the good work they do!).

View from Sandhill


I have also been going on walks/ mini parades with the neighborhood kids to a place they call Sand Hill. It is basically a place where a bunch of sand is dumped into giant mounds, but it elicits joy and adventure from my neighbors. It is hard not to get wrapped up in their excitement and it reminds me of when I would spend hours playing in a creek near my house. One of my favorite parts of Sand Hill is this one particular view. When the sun is setting, it illuminates the clouds with magnificent colors behind a set of palm trees. It makes me think of how wild this part of Guyana must have been and also stirs some of the adventure and excitement I felt when I first started out on my journey. I know I will ride the waves and continue marching along, exploring the unknown, even if it turns out to be just a big, exciting, pile of sand.

Hope everyone is enjoying the warm weather! It is still winter in my mind in the States!

-KB
My neighbors also had a baby parrot I got to hold!


My little neighbors playing at Sandhill
In case the link above doesn't work. http://www.kaieteurnewsonline.com/2012/05/05/gphc-honours-midwife-on-international-day-of-midwives/

3 comments:

  1. "I don’t know if this is a common occurrence among other volunteers, but I have thought and dreamed of plans and scenarios for where I will be after my service. The main problem is I am trying to fast forward two very important years of my life. Why would anyone want to automatically be two years older and simultaneously deprived of the memory of here and now?"

    That's exactly where I am right now too. But am getting better at taking it step by step (depending on the day). ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite evident that you have much time on your hands for contemplation and to be introspective. Life does not move on an even keel. There are valleys to explore and mountains to climb. It is not unusual to plan and to look ahead at our futures when we are in the here and now. What you are doing for your students, the family that lives above you, and your new friends is tremendous in its own right. To listen, care, play, cook, teach, love, nurture, help, are all ingredients in building trust and meaningful relationships, which formulate our world. All of this takes time. We are so use to the hustle and bustle in our everyday lives, that when we slow down, we feel we are not getting anywhere or making progress. You are making progress everyday; only in baby steps. In turn, you will grow and so your efforts will show and people will start to appreciate you and your good work and deeds. Enjoy your new lifestyle, friends, co-workers, families, and surroundings, because before you turn around, your life will have changed again. I hope that you will take away with you much pride, knowledge, growth, and satisfaction. So sit on that pile of sand and make sand castles. By the way, it is 80 degrees today and will most likely be 90 by the end of the week. No snow, but lots of rain. Not neck deep, but soggy. Remember that I love you. Mom

      Delete
  2. Hi Krista, Your life is right now. Right now is the only time you can think, feel, and do. Whether you are thinking about the past, the present or the future you are doing it right now. Your life is right now. It sounds like you are living a full and fun life right now.
    Have fun.
    Aunt Gigi

    ReplyDelete