Monday, March 25, 2013

Not Your Typical Road



Robert Frost talked about the importance of taking the road less traveled.  In his eyes it has “made all the difference.”  What difference is he talking about?  How do we know what the differences are if we only get to travel down one path at a time?  We don’t really get to compare.  Or do we? 



I am now 13 months into my service, pretty much smack dab in the middle.  I have reached the peak and am looking downhill towards the other side.  The only issue with traveling downhill is things tend to pick up speed.  It boggles my mind that an experience I dreamed about doing 4 years ago has not only come to reality, but now it is almost half way over.  Where did the time go?  I remember when people told me to enjoy college because it is the only time you will ever live that way in your life and it will go by quick.   I definitely could say the same thing about being in Guyana.  Those words resonate even louder as we say goodbye to the group above us- GUY23.  It seems like we just met them, our big brothers and sisters, our guides and mentors who taught us how to navigate this once foreign place.  We have lamented their struggles and cheered their successes and no matter what, we have seen them leave here as changed individuals.  It reminds me that I am not here forever.  That a once far off dream will eventually give way to the next one.  That I need to hold on even tighter to the moments I have gingerly cupped in my hands because they too will slip through the cracks like tiny grains of sand.  

 
When you are this far into your service you tend to forget just how far you have come.  You start to regard everything as normal and matter-of-factly.  Fortunately, there have been some visitors to refresh my perspective.  I had the opportunity to work with Builders Beyond Borders (B3), a group that takes young high school aged students to different communities around the world to help build much needed edifices.  They do a lot of hard, manual labor for the week, but they definitely have some fun too.  I felt like it would be a bit daunting to interact with a bunch of teens from an affluent community in Connecticut, but it actually went really well.  It was enjoyable to talk about some familiar things from the U.S. and they had a ton of question about Guyana.  They did sacrifice part of their spring break and raised money to help build a community center just to work all day in the hot sun to get it built.  I think that is pretty generous.  It was fun to play tour guide and share different foods or explain why people sip or grown men carry around little birds in cages.  I took them around New Amsterdam, in which it was pretty funny to see the Guyanese react to 30 white people getting off of a bus in the middle of town.  It was also strange because I felt like I was caught up in between the American world and the Guyanese world.  At times I felt like I was going back and forth explaining what was going on with everyone and trying to figure out where exactly I fit in.  One of the girls from the B3 group said she liked the way I talked.  I was amused because I don’t think I really talk much different than before.


Working with the B3 group made me realize a thing or two about this so called “road less traveled.”  A few of the leaders expressed their affinity towards Peace Corps.  They all seemed pretty interested in the experience and a bit remorseful about not having been a volunteer in their past.  Even though it hasn’t always been easy, I am very grateful that I am living that “experience” instead of being somewhere else wishing I had done it.  As Mr. Frost laments, even if he had “marked the first [path] for another day”, “knowing how way leads on to way” he “doubted if [he] should ever come back.” We don’t really know what our lives will be like choosing one path over another but once you choose a path it can be hard to go back.   Ultimately, you will be a different person than before and the two paths you have to choose from might look very different as well.  I doubt I will ever live the exact same way I do now nor will I have the opportunity to for a while.


Being around a bunch of high school students also reminded me of how much I have grown.   I thought about my high school self and all of the different experiences I have had on the way to where I am now.  I can tell you I have changed a lot because of those experiences.   I hope I will always been open to new experiences and adventure, to eat foods that I am not familiar with, to go out and explore the trail that just might lead to a beautiful place, or to sit down and be endlessly intrigued by someone else’s life story.  I am not sure if those are things along the road less traveled, but I can tell you those things are not a priority on everybody’s road.  Has doing some of these things made all the difference?   You might have to ask my former high school self what she thinks of me now, but I have a hunch she is leaning towards yes.


Since I've been here for a year, we had Paghwah and Mashrimani Round 2.  Check out some pics below:

Mash in New Amsterdam
My co-workers and I celebrating Mash


One of the tutors and I eating Seven Curry

My little neighbor Alona covered in Phagwah Powder

Students eating Seven Curry

My little neighbors and I playing Phagwah

Friend and I celebrating the Easter holiday at a water resort called Splashmin's


No comments:

Post a Comment