Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cooking..(not in Guyana this time)...Trinidadian Doubles!!

I have found people from all over the Caribbean in Guyana.  Many drivers here have flags in their cars from different Caribbean nations and I am proud to say I can identify most of them. I never knew there were so many Caribbean islands before coming to Guyana (see map below). 





 All of them have their own unique culture and food, but I also see some similarities as well.  One day I was in a car with a man from Trinidad.  He was telling me all about Trinidad and asked if I had eaten doubles yet.  I had no idea what a double was and told him no.  He didn't really explain it, but just said if I ever visited Trinidad I must have one.
View of Trinidad from the airport

Well I thought I would never get to taste one until I had an 8 hour lay over on my way home from the U.S in, you guessed it, Trinidad.  Luckily, I was able to exchange some money and leave the airport to eat at a little stand right outside.  BOY WERE THEY GOOD!  I had to get two! 

My delicious double at the airport



Bara- The roti looking part
1 lb flour
1 tsp saffron powder (tumeric)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp yeast
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
2 cups water
1 tbsp. oil
oil for frying

Channa - Chickpeas
2 cups channa, soaked overnight
10 cups water, for boiling
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. oil
1 tsp. curry
1 tsp. saffron (tumeric)
1 tsp. geera (cumin)
1 tsp. masala
2 cloves garlic, chopped finely
1/2 onion, chopped finely
5 leaves chadon beni ( bandhania), chopped finely
salt and pepper to taste


 Make dough:
In small bowl, stir together water, sugar, and yeast. Let stand until foamy, about 5 or 6 minutes.
In large bowl whisk together flour, salt, turmeric, cumin, and pepper. Stir in yeast mixture, then add additional warm water, if needed, until mixture comes together into slightly firm dough. Knead dough in bowl 2 minutes, then form into ball and cover with damp cloth. Let dough rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Make filling:
If using dried chickpeas, drain and add 6 cups fresh water. Simmer until tender, about 1 hour. Drain. If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse well with cold water.
In heavy skillet over moderately high heat, heat oil. Add onion and sauté until translucent. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute more. Mix in curry powder and sauté 30 seconds, then add 1/4 cup water.
Stir in chickpeas, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Add 1 cup water and cumin. Season with salt and pepper and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, uncovered, until chickpeas are very tender, approximately 20 minutes.
Assemble:
Punch down risen dough and allow to rest 10 minutes.
Dampen hands, pinch off walnut-size piece of dough, and flatten into 4 1/2-inch diameter circle. Set aside. Repeat with remaining dough.
In deep frying pan over moderately high heat, heat oil. Fry dough circles, in batches if necessary, until lightly browned, about 40 seconds per side. Drain on paper towels or on wire rack set over baking sheet.
Place 2 tablespoons filling on 1 piece fried dough. .


1 comment:

  1. This sounds simply delicious. Two of my favorite ingredients; saffron & chickpeas.

    ReplyDelete